(GIST OF SCIENCE REPORTER) IIT Kanpur develops solar energy-based Root Zone Heating system and Vermi-Bed method for plants in high altitude areas
IIT Kanpur develops solar energy-based Root Zone Heating system and Vermi-Bed method for plants in high altitude areas
- A team of scientists and researchers from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur, has developed a solar energy-based Root Zone Heating system and Vermi-Bed method for plants in high-altitude areas.
- The novel technology has been developed keeping in view the scarcity of fresh vegetables or agricultural produce and the lack of effective organic waste management in high-altitude areas like the Leh-Ladakh region.
- At the root of this development was the scarcity of fresh vegetables faced by our defence forces deployed in high-altitude areas like the Leh-Ladakh region, especially during winters because of the extreme climatic conditions which make agriculture difficult.
- This issue is further compounded due to increased tourism in those areas as the demand for vegetable increases. The region faces a severe scarcity of fresh vegetables leading to increased food miles of fresh food supply, adverse impact on the environment and economic losses due to the perishable nature of vegetables.
- Another major challenge faced in high-altitude areas is organic waste management. Organic waste generation is a continuous process, and its disposal is a critical issue in regions of subzero temperatures. If organic wastes like food waste is disposed of in a landfill, it rots and becomes a significant source of methane, a greenhouse gas.
- Poor waste management – ranging from non-existing collection system to ineffective disposal – causes air pollution, and water & soil contamination. This waste can be extremely beneficial when converted into compost and can be used for growing healthier plants, but that is not feasible under extremely low temperatures.
- It is to address these two issues that the IIT Kanpur team has come up with this unique technology.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD FULL PDF
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD UPSC E-BOOKS
Study Material for UPSC General Studies Pre Cum Mains
Get The Gist 1 Year Subscription Online
Click Here to Download More Free Sample Material
<<Go Back To Main Page
Courtesy: Science Reporter