(IGP) Special Current Affairs Material for IAS (Pre) 2013
Chapter: Gist of Press Information
Topic: Research & Development In
Nanoelectronics: India Getting Ready to be a Global Player
Nanometrology is science of measurement at nanoscales which is requirement of
researches at nano level.
Q. What is Indian Nanoelectronics User Program?
The Indian Nanoelectronics User Program (INUP) has been
conceived and initiated by the Department of IT to facilitate and support
generation in India of expertise and knowledge in Nanoelectronics through
participation and utilization of the facilities established at the Centres of
Excellence in Nanoelectronics at IISc, Bangaluru and IIT Bombay, Mumbai by
external users from academia, R&D institutions and Industry. The INUP program
- Impart hands-on training in nanoelectronics to researchers from other
institutions in the country and help train researchers in Nanoelectronics.
Users from academic, research and industrial R&D institutions are trained
through this project at three levels.
- Short-term workshops to disseminate the outcome of the research
activities: These workshops are also expected to provide exposure and
- Hands-on training for selected researcher: Execution of collaborative
research projects by external users by providing support for fabrication and
- Assist in the initiation of research in nanoelectronics at various
institutions in the country by enabling the execution of the work of
external users at these centres.
- Collaborate with research teams at various Indian organizations and
develop joint projects in nanoelectronics.
- Provide a platform for researchers in Naoelectronics to come together
and benefit from complementary expertise.
- To generate more than 750 trained students, professional scientists and
engineers etc., at various levels and take up about 40 research projects in
The INUP has been utilized by researchers and engineers
from academia, R&D organizations and industry. More than 110 R&D projects
from more than 100 external organizations across the country have been taken
up so far under INUP. About 1150 researchers and students from across India
have been trained through INUP.