Union Public Service Commission
IAS Mains Previous Year Paper Geography (2002)
1. On the outline map of the world supplied to you mark any ten of the
following and also write in your answer script the most significant aspect of
every one of them in not more than ten words each:
(a) Adam’s Bridge
(b) Appalachian Mountains
(e) Golden Triangle
(f) Great Artesian Basin
(g) Labrador Current
(l) Yucatan Peninsula
2. Provide a critique of the ‘geographical cycle’ model, propounded by Davis.
3. Discuss the criteria which Thomthwaite adopted for his 1948 classification
of world climates.
4. Write in detail on the concept of biosphere as an ecosystem.
5. Write short notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(c) Isolated states
(d) Rimland Theory
6. Bring out the main points of difference between the central place theories
of Christaller and Losch.
7. Write an essay on sustainable development from the perspective of
8. To what extend do the regional patterns of economic development and human
development in the world correspond with each other? Highlight situations of
departure, in particular.
1. Mark on the outline map of India supplied any TEN of the following
entries. Write brief notes (not exceeding 30 words) on the significant aspect of
(a) Blue Mountain
(b) Tawa river
(c) Dallirajhara mines
(g) Wular lake
(i) Konkan railway
(j) Laterite soils
(k) Gulf of Mannar
(l) Rana Pratap Sagar
2. Explain the origin, mechanism and characteristics of Summer Monsoon in
3. Critically evaluate the dual impacts of green revolution in India.
4. Discuss the oil and natural gas pipeline networks in India. Highlight
their complementary role in regional development.
5. Answer any THREE of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Account for the present distributional pattern of population density in
(b) Analyse the role of policy of liberalization on industrial landscape of
(c) Discuss the salient features of Cauvery Water Award.
(d) Elucidate the role of Tribal Development Blocks in development of Tribal
6. Explain the causes, impacts and remedial measures of earthquake disaster.
7. In what way the language, religion and tradition can form the basis of
cultural regionalization of India? Elaborate.
8. Give a reasoned account of regional disparities in economic development in
India and bring out the contribution of decentralized planning in solving this
Go Back to UPSC
Main Exam Page