Preliminary Examination Syllabus – Zoology
1. General characters and classification of non-chordates (upto
classes) and chordates (upto order) of the following : Protozoa, Porifera,
Coelenterata, Platyhelminthes, Nemathel-minthes, Annelida, Arthropod
Mollusca, Echinodermat and chordeta.
2. Anatomical structures and their functions and life history
of the following types : Paramlecium, Plasmodium, Euglena, Entamoeba,
Sycon, Obelia, Liver, Fluke, Ascaris, Leech, Nereis, Prawn, Cock-roach,
Pila, Unio, Starfish, Amphioxus, Scoliodon, Toad, Calotecs, Pigeon and
3. Structure of an animal cell, Structure and function of
cell organelles, Mitosis and Meiosis cell division.
4. Biotic and abiotic factors, Eco-system, Food chain,
Pollution in air, water and land.
5. Wild life of India with special reference to N.E. India.
6. Comparative study of integument, Pectoral and felvic
girdles heart and urinogenital system of vertebrates.
7. Beneficial and harmful insects, Life history and culture
of Eri, Muga and Honey Bee.
8. Nucleic acid and biosynthesis of protein.
9. Mendelian Laws of inheritance, Linkage and crossing over
10. Evidences and theories of evolution.
11. Fossil and fossil dating
12. Nature and function of enzymes.
13. Physiology of digestion, respiration and excretion of
14. Composition of blood, blood grouping in man and
coagulation of blood.
15. Histophysiology of pancrease, pituitary and thyroid
17. Fertilization,, cleavage and gastruletion.
18. Formation of Foetal membrances in chick and mammals.
19. Zoogeographical realms of the world and its fauna.
20. Concept of species and sub-species, Binomial nomenclature
and international code.